Arugula & Avocado Salad with Fried Oysters
- 1 Pint Chesapeake Gold Oysters, drained
- ½ Cup pan searing flour or fine flour seasoned with salt and white pepper
- 2 Cups (or more) Plain, panko style breadcrumbs
- 1 Teaspoon Old Bay or other seafood style seasoning
- 1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- ½ Cup coconut oil or preferred pan frying oil – can use mild olive oil
- 10 Ounces arugula (or mixture of arugula and spring greens)
- ¼ Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 Cup good quality grated Pecorino Romano cheese (one ounce) or 2 ounces of crumbled goat cheese or feta
- One lemon, squeezed, pit and pith removed
- ¼ Cup good quality olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon capers, chopped plus 1 teaspoon caper juice
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic crushed and chopped fine
- 3-4 Dashes of hot pepper sauce
Pat oysters dry. Put pan searing flour, panko and beaten egg in three separate bowls.
Add Old Bay to panko. Crush with back of spoon to break up crumbs.
Using your fingers or a spoon, work one or two oysters at a time. Dip oysters into pan searing flour, shake excess and dip into egg, let excess fall. Dredge in panko, lightly pressing oyster with back of spoon on each side. Set in large platter and repeat until all oysters are breaded.
Heat ¼-½ cup cooking oil in nonstick pan, about ¼ inch deep on medium until oil is hot.
While oil is heating, put salad dressing in a large bowl suitable for tossing. Add the lettuce and onion and toss until the leaves are coated (lettuce volume will be reduced as you add dressing).
Plate lettuce and add slices of avocados in a fanned out from center. Set salads aside while you fry oysters.
When oil is hot but not smoking, place them one at a time in a single layer so they are not touching. Fry until dark golden brown on each side (~2-3 minutes per side). Drain on paper towel. If making a second batch, place fried oysters in a pre-heated low oven (175-200) to keep warm while cooking the others.
Divide oysters among salad plates. Top with preferred cheese and serve immediately.
Whisk ingredients for dressing together – set aside
Optional salad garnish: Sliced ripe tomatoes (cherry and grape work well) or sliced roasted beets.