CBW's Golden Grilled Oysters
by: Chris Wyer
Decadent, simple and elegant. One of our favorite ways to prepare Chesapeake Gold Oysters! Chef Wyer's combination of spinach, parmesan, garlic and butter pairs perfectly with our mildly salty, deep-cupped and plump oysters.
- 4-5 Ounces Fresh Spinach: Rough chop or chiffonade
- 3 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp. Medium Grind Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 5 oz Grated Parmesan
- 2 T finely minced garlic
- Shuck oysters and leave liquor in shell
- Let butter come to room temperature
- Mix spinach, parmesan, garlic and kosher salt in a glass bowl
- Fold in butter and mix well
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- Place in the refrigerator to firm
- When consistency is thicker than mashed potatoes, lay out 30 inches of Saran wrap
- Form a log at long end and roll up to seal the mixture
- Refrigerate ~30 minutes if using immediately – can be stored for up to a week
- Heat grill to medium high
- Put approximately 1 tablespoon of compound butter on each oyster
- Top with crumbled bacon
- Roast over medium high heat for approximately five minutes until butter melts and oyster edges begin to curl
- Serve hot
Makes topping for approximately 4-5 dozen oysters. Allow 4 to 6 oysters per person. Option: Serve with slices of french bread – halved or quartered – for enjoying any butter/oyster liquor in shell.
If using oven, set to high broil. Place oysters on a baking sheet. Place rack ~5 inches from heating element. Broil 3-5 minutes. Check frequently and remove when golden.