Looking to jumpstart your aquaculture career? Are you an environmental science, fisheries or biology major? Apply for a position as Hoopers’ Hatchery Technician Intern this summer. You’ll produce larval oysters and algae, maintain broodstock and help w/spawning.
During your summer experience you’ll learn several skills that are vital to the success of an oyster hatchery including the following:
- Monitoring environment and maintain optimal hatchery conditions
- Assisting in the conditioning and spawning of broodstock for diploid and triploid larvae production
- Participating in problem solving to improve spawning, setting, growth rates and mortality prevention within hatchery
- Completing larval counts using various dilution techniques
- Determining algae densities using a hemocytometer
- Performing routine tasks such as: water exchanges; filter and water sterilization; and cleaning grow-out systems and components to maintain suitable growing conditions
- Participating in microalgae production and carry out feeding regimes
- Following all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for Hatchery Operations
Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as scientific reports. This position must frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift over 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the Hatchery Technician Intern is required to operate standard office machines and technology including a computer, printer, smartphone, and constantly move freely about. This position is required to occasionally crouch, frequently climb, crawl, kneel, push/pull, reach above the shoulder, squat, twist, walk up and down stairs, and continuously bend/stoop and lift. This position will also be required to work outside during the summer in hot temperatures.
The working conditions are those in (1) a business environment and includes daily phone calls and face-to-face interaction with the team and (2) the outdoors, including waterfront and floating facilities and aboard boats. Some travel may be required to attend industry events.
For information, email Imani Black at: IBlack@hoopersisland.com or download application here.